Exam Proctoring and Technology
All exams must be proctored unless otherwise stated by your instructor.
Exams are to be taken on the same day the exam is given to on-campus students, unless prior approval is given by the course instructor. Depending on the course, online students may have two exam proctoring options: through an online test proctoring service (ProctorU) or in-person at an approved testing center.
ProctorU is an online live person proctoring service, which is institutionally paid. Check your BlackBoard course site for the style of exam that will be used. Within the College of Engineering and Mines you may have two styles of exams, that will fall under two different institutions: “University of North Dakota” and “University of North Dakota-PDF”.
PDF Style Exams ("University of North Dakota-PDF")
Within CEM, a majority of exams are PDF style exams which include; written equations, drawing diagrams, etc. Appointments for this style exam are found under the “University of North Dakota-PDF” institution. There are specific equipment requirements for the PDF style exams, such as:
- Touch screen laptop with active stylus compatibility
- A digital tablet/writing surface connected by USB, (ex. Wacom or Huion tablet) is an option but not recommended
- Chromebooks and iPads are not compatible
- External webcam on a tripod or gooseneck mount
- Uninterrupted Internet connection
- PDF editing software, such as Drawboard PDF, PDF Annotator, Xodo, or OneNote
You must test your equipment on the UND Student Resource Course Blackboard site for the PDF style exams. To access the equipment test, follow these steps:
- Click on "Taking Tests"
- Access the "Proctoring Options" folder
- Access "Test Equipment for ProctorU Live PDF Exams" folder
- Select "ProctorU Equipment Test" - Download the file under Question 1 (write on it using your touch screen laptop and stylus)
- Question 2: Upload your completed test file - Browse Local Files
Electronic Style Exams ("University of North Dakota")
Electronic-based exams, done solely in Blackboard, do not require specialized equipment. You will need to have an uninterrupted Internet connection and a computer with a built-in camera or external camera.
There are two proctoring styles under the "University of North Dakota" institution. Check your course Blackboard site to determine which method is used. The two proctoring styles are:
- Auto with Review (Review+) - You do not need to make an appointment prior to taking the exam. For this proctoring method, the session begins with an automated identity verification process, which requires a valid government issued photo ID. Your audio/video and screen are recorded throughout the exam and the recording is reviewed for any academic integrity concerns.
- Live+ - You are required to schedule an appointment for this exam method; you must present a valid government issued photo ID. When exam times are available for your course, immediate scheduling is recommended to ensure an opening works with your schedule.
Students who want to use a college or university testing center for in-person proctoring, would need to fill out the request form. The form must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the exam date. The following information is required at the time of submission:
- Student ID
- Student email
- Course prefix and number (Ex. ME 306)
- Test center email
- Name of test center
- Contact name at test center
- Test center phone number
- Test center address (including city, state, and zip)