Paleontology Development Fund
A Paleontology Development Fund (PDF) has been established within the Department of Geology & Geological Engineering through the UND Alumni Association & Foundation particularly to aid paleontological research conducted by students.
It will aid collection, preparation, and display of fossils from student projects (theses), improve resources for in-class paleo projects, as well as facilitate long-term curation, preservation, and dissemination of information on paleontology of North Dakota and related fossils. Former students remember being short on funds for paleontology research; this fund has as a principal goal to support student activities in the field and in the laboratory.
Contributions to the PDF to date have included donations from:
- Clarice Johnsrud of Williston in memory of her husband Clarence Johnsrud, whose enthusiasm for Paleocene plant fossils was well known
- Bud (Emeritus Professor of paleontology) and Mardi Holland of Grand Forks and long supporters of the Department
- J. Mark Erickson, Professor of Geology, St. Lawrence University, Canton, New York, a UND geology alum and long-time supporter of the Department
- I.G. Grossman, Pennsylvania, a former professor (1946-1949) in the Department
- John Utgaard, Emeritus Professor, University of Southern Illinois and supporting 1958 UND geology alum
Please consider donating to the PDF to provide a source of support for the UND Paleontology Lab and student research projects. Checks can be ear-marked for Paleontology Development or fund #7560-8183.