- Geology & Geological
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
The Importance of Academic Advising
The College of Engineering and Mines believes greatly in the importance of academic advising. Advising can make a huge difference in the lives of our Engineering students.
Academic advising is the way by which you assist the student to:
• realize his/her educational goals and objectives;
• meet the academic requirements of the major program, the College and the University;
• understand the relationship between professional and career choices and goals
• identify the curriculum and co-curriculum options available at the University.
Our advisors aid in the:
• development of educational plans;
• assistance of career and life goals;
• selection of appropriate courses and other educational internships or coop experiences;
• clarification of institutional requirements;
• development of student awareness about educational resources available (e.g., scholarships, internships, study abroad, honors, and graduate
• assessment of student progress toward established goals;
• growth of decision making skills;
• referral to and use of institutional support services
The absolute responsibility for making decisions about educational plans and life goals rests with the individual student. Academic advisors help students to identify and assess alternatives and the consequences of those decisions.
Advising questions contact: