- Computer Science
- Geology & Geological
- Institute for Energy Studies
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Prospective Students Home Page
- Transfer Students
- Distance Engineering Degree Program
- Schedule a Visit
Surojit Gupta Information
I am an Assistant Professor at the University of North Dakota in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Previously, I was employed as a Faculty Researcher in The Rutgers University, and acted as a technical advisor/consultant of Solidia Technology (a start company funded by Kliner Perkins Caulfield Byers). Our team developed novel green structural materials by CO2 sequestration. Prior to that, I was a postdoctoral fellow in The Pennsylvania State University. I developed empirical mathematical models to understand the manufacturing process of honeycomb ceramics. Earlier, I finished my doctoral studies in Drexel University. During my PhD, I synthesized and characterized different novel ternary carbides and nitrides (MAX Phases). As a part of this study, we successfully tested MAX Phase based composite shafts in Foil Bearing based Oil Free Turbomachinery.
Selected Educational Papers and Proceedings
2010 and 2011
31. "On the Tribology of MAX Phases and Their Composites – A Review", S. Gupta and M. W. Barsoum,
Wear, 271 [ 9–10] 1878-1894 (2011).
30. "Thermomechanical Behavior of Ceramic Green Bodies during Pre-sintering", S. Gupta, D J. Green,
G L. Messing and I. Peterson, J. Am. Cer. Soc.,93  2611–2616 (2010).
29. "On the compression behavior of Ti2InC, (Ti0.5, Zr0.5)2InC, and M2SnC (Nb, Hf) at quasi-hydrostatic
pressures above 50 GPa", Bouchaib Manoun, O. Leaffer, S. Gupta, E.N. Hoffman, S.K. Saxena and
M.W. Barsoum, Solid State Communications, 149 [43-44] 1978-1983 ( 2009).
28. "Study of tribofilms formed during dry sliding of Ta2AlC/Ag or Cr2AlC/Ag composites against Ni-base
superalloys and Al2O3", S. Gupta, D. Filimonov, V. Zaitsev, T. Palanisamy, T. El-Raghy,
M. W. Barsoum, Wear 267, 1490-1500 (2009).
27. "Effect of applied load and surface roughness on the tribological properties of Ni-based superalloys
versus Ta2AlC/Ag or Cr2AlC/Ag composites", D. Filimonov, S. Gupta, T. Palanisamy and
M. W. Barsoum, Tribol. Lett. 33, 9-20 (2009).
26. "Thermal expansion of select Mn+1AXn (M=early transition metal, A=A group element, X=C or N)
phases measured by high temperature x-ray diffraction and dilatometry", T.H. Scabarozi,
S. Amini, O. Leaffer, A Ganguly, S. Gupta, W. Tambussi, S. Clipper, J.E. Spanier,
M.W. Barsoum, J.D.Hettinger and S.E. Lofland, J. App. Phys. 105, 013543 (2009).
25. "Synthesis and elastic mechanical properties of Cr2GeC", S. Amini, A. Zhou, S. Gupta, A. DeVillier,
P. Finkel and M. W. Barsoum, J. Mater. Res. 23, 2157-2165 (2008).
24. "Tribological behavior of select MAX phases against Al2O3 at elevated temperatures", S. Gupta,
D. Filimonov, T. Palanisamy and M. W. Barsoum, Wear 265, 560-565 (2008).
23. "Ambient and 550 oC tribological behavior of select MAX phases against Ni-based superalloys",
S. Gupta, D. Filimonov, V. Zaitsev, T. Palanisamy and M. W. Barsoum, Wear 264, 270-278 (2008).
22. "On the Raman scattering from selected M2AC compounds", O. D. Leaffer, S. Gupta, M. W. Barsoum and J. E. Spanier, J. Mater. Res., 22  2651-2654 (2007).
21. "On the compression behavior of Cr2GeC and V2GeC up to quasi-hydrostatic pressures of 50
GPa", M. Bouchaib, A. Sharam, S. Gupta, S. K. Saxena and M. W Barsoum, J. Phy. Cond. Mat.,
20. "Tribological Behavior of Ti2SC at Ambient and Elevated Temperatures", S. Gupta, D. Filiminov,
T. Palanisamy, T. El-Raghy and Michel. W. Barsoum, ", J. Amer. Cer. Soc.,
90  3566-3571 (2007).
19. "Ta2AlC and Cr2AlC Ag-based composites - New solid lubricant materials for use over a wide
temperature range against Ni-based superalloys and alumina", S. Gupta, D. Filimonov,
T. Palanisamy, T. El-Raghy and M. W. Barsoum, Wear, 262 1479-1489 (2007).
18. "On the compression behavior of (Ti0.5, V0.5)2AlC and (Ti0.5, Nb0.5)2AlC to quasi-hydrostatic
pressures above 50 GPa", B. Manoun, F. Zhang, S. K. Saxena, S. Gupta and M. W. Barsoum,
J. Phys: Condensed Matter, 19 246215 (2007).
17. "High-Temperature Thermal Expansion and Stability of V2AlC Up To 950°C", S. R. Kulkarni,
M. Merlini, N. Phatak, S. K. Saxena, G. Artioli, S. Gupta and M. W. Barsoum,
J. Amer. Cer. Soc., 90  3013-3016 (2007).
16. "Corrosion behavior of select MAX phases in NaOH, HCl and H2SO4", V. D. Jovic, B. M. Jovic,
S. Gupta, T. El-Raghy and M. W. Barsoum, Cor. Sci. 48 4274-4282 (2006).
15. "Isothermal oxidation of Ta2AlC in air", S. Gupta, D. Filiminov and M. W. Barsoum,
J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 89  2974-2976 (2006).
14. "High-temperature oxidation of Ti3GeC2 and Ti3Ge0.5Si0.5C2 in air", S. Gupta, A. Ganguly,
D. Filiminov and M. W. Barsoum, J. Electrochem. Soc., 153  J 61-J 68 (2006).
13. "Synthesis and oxidation of Ti2InC, Zr2InC, (Ti0.5,Zr0.5)2InC and (Ti0.5,Hf0.5)2InC in air",
S. Gupta, E. N. Hoffman and M. W. Barsoum, J. Alloys and Comp., 426 [1-2] 168-175 (2006).
12. "Electron-phonon coupling in Mn+1ACn phases", S. E. Lofland, J. D. Hettinger, T. Meehan,
A. Bryan, P. Finkel, S. Gupta, M. W. Barsoum and G. Hug, Phys. Rev. B, 74 1 (2006).
11. "On the heat capacities of M2AlC (M = Ti, V, Cr) ternary carbides", M. K. Drulis, H. Drulis, S. Gupta,
M. W. Barsoum and T. El-Raghy, J. App. Phys., 99  093502 - 093505 (2006).
10. "Compression behavior of M2AlC (M = Ti, V, Cr, Nb, and Ta) phases to above 50 GPa", B. Manoun,
R. P. Gulve, S. K. Saxena, S. Gupta, M. W. Barsoum and C. S. Zha, Phys. Rev. B 73, 024110 (2006).
9. "Tribology of Ti3SiC2 and its derivatives ",S. Gupta, Z. M. Sun, M.W.Barsoum, E. Passman,
T. Palanisamy and C. W. Li , Proceedings of World Tribology Congress III, September 12 - 16, 2005.
8. "Vibrational behavior of the Mn+1AXn phases from first-order Raman scattering (M = Ti, V, Cr;
A = Si; X = C, N)", Spanier, J. E., Gupta, S., Amer, M. and Barsoum, M. W., Phys. Rev. B,
71 012103 (2005).
7. "Spontaneous growth of freestanding Ga nanoribbons from Cr2GaC surfaces", Sun, Z. M., Gupta, S.,
Ye, H. and Barsoum, M. W., J. Mater. Res., 20  2618-2621 (2005).
6. "Electrical transport, thermal transport, and elastic properties of M2AlC (M = Ti, Cr, Nb and V)",
Hettinger, J. D., Lofland, S. E., Finkel, P., Meehan, T., Palma, J., Harrell, K., Gupta, S., Ganguly, A.,
El-raghy, T. and Barsoum, M. W., Phys. Rev. B, 72 115120 (2005).
5. "Synthesis and Oxidation of V2AlC and (Ti0.5,V0.5)2AlC in Air", S. Gupta and M. W. Barsoum,
J. Elec. Soc., 151  (2004).
4. "Driving force and mechanism for spontaneous metal whisker formation", M.W.Barsoum,
E. N. Hoffman, R. D. Doherty, S. Gupta and A. Zavalingos, Phy. Rev. Letts, 93  206104 (2004).
3. "Elastic and electronic properties of select M2AX phases",S. E. Lofland, J. D. Hettinger, K. Harrell,
P. Finkel, S. Gupta, M. W. Barsoum, and G. Hug, Appl. Phys. Lett., 84 508 (2004).
2. "Easy-to-use mullite and spinel sols as bonding agents in a high-alumina based ultra low cement
castable", S. Mukhopadhay, S. Ghosh, M. Mahapatra, R. Mazumdar, P. Barick, S. Gupta and
S. Chakraborty, Cer. Inter., 28 719-729 (2002).
1. "Enhanced room-temperature magnetoresistance in La0.7Sr0.3MnO3-glass composites", S. Gupta,
R. Ranjit, C. Mitra, P. Raychaudhuri and R. Pinto. Appl. Phy. Letts., 78 362 (2001).