- Computer Science
- Geology & Geological
- Institute for Energy Studies
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Slurry Loop Project
- Drillbotics Project
- Grand Challenge Scholars Program (GSCP)
- The BIG Challenge
- Industry Seminar Series
- Workshop Series
- Leadership & Entrepreneurship Courses
Congratulations to the UND Drillbotics team for being selected by the SPE Drillbotics™ committee as one of the nine finalists who will proceed to Phase II of the 2017-2018 Competition. UND is one of the 5 selected Universities in the US and among 9 Universities internationally.
The UND Drillbotics Team express their sincere thanks to Hess, Oasis Petroleum, Statoil, Zarvona Energy, the industry sponsors of the drillbotics project, for their generous support.
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) runs the Drillbotics competition each year. The aim of the project is to design a rig and related equipment to autonomously drill a vertical well as quickly as possible, while maintaining borehole quality and integrity of the drilling rig and drillstring. The team from each University consists of 5 students and if their design is approved, they will proceed with the manufacturing of the rig. The project has several requirements to be met, including the budget limit of $10,000. This year a group of 12 including Mechanical, Petroleum and Electrical Engineering students involved in this project. The design phase ends by end of Fall 17. We wish good luck for the team to move to the second phase. Further information can be found from this link: http://connect.spe.org/dsats/communityresources/dsats-committee/new-item2/new-item
Project Team Progress
September week 1
The team met for the kick off meeting to discuss the project planning.
September week 2
ME team continues to finalize the FEA on drillstring loading and choose the best design. They are also looking at the specifications of the sub.
EE team are finalizing sensor selection and plan to begin soon the design of the control system design.
PE team are working on the design of the drilling fluid system.
Drillbotics team presented their project outline and their design plan to the Industry Advisory Council (IAC) members of Petroleum Engineering Department on Friday, October 13.
September week 3
- The team made a great progress on the design aspects of the drilling rig this week and currently working on the FEA of the rig and component.
- Excluding the sensors, all purchasable components are selected and are incorporated into the design.
- The team is working now on creating fabrication instruction and drawings for all parts made in house as well as a full bill of material to get an estimate on cost.
- Fluid selection, component selection, and flow analysis will be the following tasks to complete.
September week 4
- Mechanical design is complete.
- Control systems are at the final stage.
- Fluid system design is in progress.
November week 1
- Thanks to Tristeel for donating the metal for the rig frame.
- PE completed the fluid system design.
- The control system design is at the final stage.
- The team has started to write up the report to submit to the SPE.