- Geology & Geological
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Engineering & Mines
- Harold Hamm School of Geology and Geological Engineering
- Lance D. Yarbrough
Lance D. Yarbrough, Ph.D., RPG, P.E.
Associate Professor of Geological Engineering
Harold Hamm School of Geology and Geological Engineering
Department of Petroleum Engineering
81 Cornell St. - Stop 8358
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8358
366G Upson II
University of North Dakota
(701) 777-4449 (fax)
Registrations and Certifications:
Professional Engineer, Mississippi #18022
Registered Professional Geologist, Mississippi #0725
Teaching and Research Interests:
- Subsurface exploration techniques, data acquisition and geomechanical characterization of soil and rock masses used in environmental, construction, petroleum and mining applications.
- Geospatial Cyberinfrastructure (GCI) and Geographic Information Science and Technology (GIS&T) with emphasis in applications and integration of technologies and methods with currently accepted techniques.
- Drilling engineering and optimization of drilling systems.
- Remote sensing applications using multispectral and hyperspectral sensors for detecting target signatures that are used as a segregate for engineering and geological properties.
- GeoE 203 - Earth Dynamics
- GeoE 323 - Engineering Geology
- GeoE 484 - Geological Engineering Senior Design I
- PtrE 484 - Petroleum Engineering Senior Design I
- Geol 491 - GIS&T for the Geosciences and Engineering
- Geol 491 - Introduction to Mining Engineering
- GeoE 485 - Geological Engineering Senior Design II
- PtrE 411 - Drilling Engineering
- GeoE 493 - Advanced slope stability and ground control
- Geo1 591 - Special Topics: Hydraulic Fracturing
- GeoE 455L - Geomechanics Laboratory
- GeoE 301L - Petrophysics Laboratory
- PtrE 361L - Petroleum Engineering Laboratory I
- PtrE 462L - Petroleum Engineering Laboratory II
- Ph.D. Engineering Science–emphasis in geological engineering, The University of Mississippi, December 2006
- M.S. Engineering Science–emphasis in geological engineering, The University of Mississippi, May 2000
- B.S. Geological Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla, May 1995
Prep-1. Carr, Russell J., L.D. Yarbrough, and Nicholas Lentz, (in prep.). Elemental Characterization of the Bakken and Three Forks Formations in the Williston Basin of North Dakota Using X-Ray Fluorescence.
32. Yarbrough, L.D., (2014) Use of RUSLE and historical imagery for claims of sedimentation of lakes and streams. Environmental Forensics, 15, pp.1–13. August. doi:10.1080/15275922.2014.930936
31. Yarbrough, L.D., Kumar Navulur and Rachana Ravi, (2014) Presentation of the Kauth-Thomas Transform for WorldView-2 Reflectance Data. Remote Sensing Letters, 5(2) pp. 131–138. February doi:10.1080/2150704X.2014.885148.
30. Yarbrough, L.D., 2013. Impact of flipping and partial flipping course content in mixed mode delivery on curriculum development and student learning. In Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 45(7). October
29. Yarbrough, L.D., and K. Katzenstein, 2012. Development of teaching modules for geology and engineering coursework using terrestrial LiDAR scanning systems. EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 90(52), Fall Meeting Supplement, Abstract IN43B-1523.
28. Carr, Russell, L.D. Yarbrough, Nicholas Lentz and Steve Benson, 2012. Development of a Well Logging Laboratory for Cutting Edge Petroleum Research, presented at North Dakota EPSCoR Conference, 18 September 2012, Alerus Center, Grand Forks, North Dakota.
27. Benson, Steve, J. Nasah, C. Thumbi, S. Patwardham, L.D. Yarbrough and S. Srinivasachar, 2012. Field Report: Project 1, Evaluation of scrubber additives and carbon injection to increase mercury capture. CONFIDENTIAL REPORT, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
26. Yarbrough, L.D., G. Easson, and J.S. Kuszmaul, 2012. Proposed workflow for improved Kauth-Thomas Transform derivations.Remote Sensing of Environment. 124, pp. 810–818. doi:10.1016/j.rse.2012.05.003
25. Yarbrough, L.D., Van Oploo, Angelle, Padgett, Alexander, and Krieger, Amanda, 2011. Use of Smartphones (related devices and applications) in Field Geology. 2011 Geologic Society of America Annual Meeting in Minneapolis, MN (9–12 October 2011). GSA Abstracts with Programs 43 (5), Paper #44-5.
24. Ries, Adam, and L.D. Yarbrough, 2011. Characterization of Banks and Slope Failures along the Shoreline of Lake Sakakawea, North Dakota, USA. 2011 Geologic Society of America Annual Meeting in Minneapolis, MN (9–12 October 2011). GSA Abstracts with Programs 43(5), Paper #180-16.
23. Crowell, Anna, W. Gosnold, and L.D. Yarbrough, 2010. Identifying Potential Geothermal Resources from Co-Producing Fluids Using Existing Data From Drilling Logs: Williston Basin, North Dakota. GSA Abstracts with Programs, 42 (5), Geological Society of America Annual Meeting & Exposition, 31 October–3 November 2010. Colorado Convention Center, Denver, Colorado.
22. Yarbrough, L.D., S.Korom, and Z. Zeng, 2010. Surviving ABET assessment and still having time to grow your engineering program: Keeping the focus on the students. Proceedings of the 2010 American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) North Midwest Sectional Conference, 20–22 October 2010, Minnesota State University, Mankato, Minnesota.
21. Rahman, S., A. C. Bagtzolgou, F. Hossain, L. Tang, L. D. Yarbrough, and G. Easson, 2009. Investigating Spatial Downscaling of Satellite Rainfall Data for Stream Flow Simulation in a Medium-sized Basin, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 11, pp. 1063–1079. doi: 10.1175/2009JHM1072.1
20. Yarbrough, Lance D., 2009. Use of Synthetic Aperture Radar in Cold Climate Flood Response. EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 90(52), Fall Meeting Supplement, Abstract NH43C-1342.
19. Yarbrough, Lance D., 2009. Remote Sensing Data for Emergency Response/Disaster Management and the International Charter "Space and Major Disasters", presented at 2009 North Dakota GIS User's Conference, Alerus Center, Grand Forks, North Dakota, 02–04 November 2009. (Session III-A Moderator-GIS in Emergency Management 1).
18. Yarbrough, Lance D., 2008. Recent Research Efforts Using the Next-Generation NASA Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Proxy Data, presented at Joint Meeting of the Association of American Geographers (AAU) Great Plains-Rocky Mountain Division and American Society for Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing (ASPRS) Upper Midwest Chapter, University of North Dakota, 12–13 September 2008. (Session III-B Moderator-Environmental Applications Geospatial Technologies).
17. Yarbrough, L.D., 2009. Analysis of Sedimentation and Impact of Plantation Lake, Olive Branch, Mississippi (Supplemental-Soil Lose Analysis). CONFIDENTIAL REPORT Submitted to the Law Office of Greer, Pipkin, Russell, Dent & Leathers, Tupelo, Mississippi.
16. Yarbrough, L.D., 2008. Analysis of Sedimentation and Impact of Plantation Lake, Olive Branch, Mississippi. CONFIDENTIAL REPORT Submitted to the Law Office of Greer, Pipkin, Russell, Dent & Leathers, Tupelo, Mississippi.
15. Rahman, S., A.C. Bagtzoglou, L.D. Yarbrough, and F. Hossain, 2007. Investigating Satellite Rainfall Based Flood Modeling in Anticipation of GPM: Understanding the Worth of Spatial Downscaling and Satellite Rainfall Uncertainty. Eos Trans. AGU, Fall Meeting Supplement, Abstract IN43B-1176.
14. Harris, A. , S. Rahman, F. Hossain, L. D. Yarbrough, A. C. Bagtzolgou and G. Easson, 2007. Satellite-based Flood Modeling using TRMM-based rainfall products and Statistical Downscaling, Sensors, 7, pp. 3416–3427. (invited paper)
13. Yarbrough, L.D., and G.L. Easson, 2007. Geocoding techniques and effects of error on results from risk management decision support systems, presented at Mid-South Area Engineering and Sciences Conference (MAESC), The University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS, May 17–18, 2007. CD-ROM.
12. Easson, G., J. S. Kuszmaul, L.D. Yarbrough, D. Irwin, E. Cherrington, 2006. Rapid Prototyping of Simulated VIIRS Data in the SERVIR Fire Rapid Response System. Eos Trans. AGU, 87(52), Fall Meeting Supplement, Abstract IN32A-01.
11. Easson, G.L., F. Faruque and L.D. Yarbrough, 2005. Rating the Shrink/Swell Behavior of the Porters Creek Formation, Environmental & Engineering Geoscience, 11(2), pp. 171–176. doi: 10.2113/11.2.171
10. Yarbrough, L.D., G. Easson, and J.S. Kuszmaul, 2005. Using At-Sensor Radiance and Reflectance Tasseled Cap Transforms Applied to Change Detection for the ASTER Sensor, presented at IEEE Third International Workshop on the Analysis of Multi-temporal Remote Sensing Images, 16–18 May 2005, Beau Rivage, Biloxi, Mississippi, USA, 5 pages, CD-ROM. doi: 10.1109/AMTRSI.2005.1469857
9. Yarbrough, L.D., G. Easson, and J.S. Kuszmaul, 2005. Tasseled Cap Coefficients for the QuickBird2 sensor: A comparison of methods and development, presented at Pecora 16-American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, October 23-27, Sioux Falls Convention Center, Sioux Falls, SD, 10 pages, CD-ROM.
8. Yarbrough, L.D. and G. Easson, 2005. Eye of the Storm—Google Earth Assists Katrina Response and Recovery, GeoWorld, 18(11), pp. 24–27.
7. Yarbrough, L.D. and G. Easson, 2005. Eye of the Storm—Google Earth Assists Katrina Response and Recovery (reprint), Geomatica, 59(4), pp. 451–453.
6. DeLozier, S.A., L.D. Yarbrough and G.L. Easson, 2004. GIS in a Small Town. GeoWorld, 12(3), pp. 42–45.
5. Aten, M.L., L.D. Yarbrough and G.L. Easson, 2004. Stable Band Set Selection for the Preprocessing of AVIRIS and Hyperion Hyperspectral Data. Sensors, Systems, and Next-Generation Satellites VIII–Proceedings of SPIE, Gran Canaria, Spain, 13–15 September, 5570, pp. 589–594. doi:10.1117/12.568134
4. Yarbrough, L.D., G.L. Easson, and J.S. Kuszmaul, 2004. DN Based Tasseled Cap Transform Coefficients for the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) Sensor Level 1-B Data. American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Fall Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri.
3. Yarbrough, L.D., G.L. Easson, 2003. Comparison of Techniques for Deriving Bathymetry of Remotely Sensed Data, Oceanology International and Alliance of Marine Remote Sensors, New Orleans, Louisiana.
2. Easson, G.L. and L.D. Yarbrough, 2002. The Effects of Riparian Vegetation on Bank Stability. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience. 8(4), pp. 247–260. doi: 10.2113/8.4.247
1. Easson, G.L. and L.D. Yarbrough, 1999. The Use of GIS in Determining Root Area Ratio. Program with Abstracts, Association of Engineering Geologist. 26–29 September 1999. Salt Lake City, Utah.