- Geology & Geological
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
EarthCycle is a month long celebration of alternative commuting, saving planet Earth, saving gas money, easing the congestion, and improving our health and wellbeing. New and experienced bicycle riders are welcomed to participate in the first UND campus wide commuter challenge. Everyone associated with UND is welcome to compete in this month long event with other departments and units. This means that students, staff, and faculty all share their respective departmental teams. The department or unit that logs most rides (average per team) in four weeks wins memorable prizes (don't expect anything too valuable).
"It just feels good to do something for the environment and get some exercise the first thing in the morning" said one of the organizers recently.
Runs September 8 - October 5, 2014 - Sign up anytime!!
The first person in a given department to sign up for the competition will become that department's team captain. He or she will set up the team at the Greenlightride.com (instructions provided below). After the team has been set up the captain will accept new riders to his/her departmental team.
You can participate by walk-commute, rollerblade, skateboard, run or bike, any form of commuting is fine, just as long as your transportation is muscle powered rather than motorized. Just sign up and log your trips as if you were biking.
• Go to www.Greenlightride.com
• Create a profile
• Join the competition "UND EarthCycle 2014"
• Join/Create a Departmental team
• Log your non-motorized commute starting Sept. 8. 2014
• Have Fun!
On each work day a single commuter can log a maximum of two trips (home to work, and back to home). The work week consists of fife work days. Therefore one person can log a maximum of 10 trips per week. Any non-motorized, self-powered transportation is acceptable.
Team member instructions
Register yourself at Greenlightride.com
- Go to TEAMS tab and choose ALL TEAMS
- In the middle of the page you will see: Search by Team Name, type in the box "UND" and hit submit button. You will be shown all teams with UND as part of their name. In the list find your department/unit and click the name. (If your department/unit does not yet have a team, please, follow the team captain instructions below).
- The next page shows you the current team roster. On that page hit the button "Apply to Join This Team".
- Your application will go to the team captain and he/she will approve your application.
- Return to Greenlightride.com web page after a day or so to find verify acceptance to the team by your team captain.
Once you joined your department's/unit's team you are ready to start bike commuting. Log your trips preferably within the same day or at least within a few days after the travel took place. At the Greenlightride.com you will be able to track your progress and see how other teams are doing.
Team Captain Instructions (if you are the first one in your department or unit to sign up, please follow these instructions) Don't wait for someone else in your department to create the team, take pride in being the first one!
-Register yourself at Greenlightride.com
When naming your team please use this format: UND your department's/unit's official name. For example, chemistry department should be named: "UND chemistry". This makes it easy for other people to search for UND teams amongst all the teams at Greenlightride.com. Once the team is created you (the captain) need to apply to join the competition (UND EarthCycle 2014). Below are the instructions to set up the team and join the competition.
To find competiton:
find "UND EarthCycle 2014"
click "join challenge"
you have the option to create a team or join one already in the competition
click "create team"
name your team
now: re-pick your team from a drop down and click "join challenge"
you will receive a confirmation message to wait for approval
Please, spread the word of your department's/unit's team and invite faculty, staff, and students in your department/unit to join in.