- Computer Science
- Geology & Geological
- Institute for Energy Studies
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
International Research Experience for Students (IRES) Program: Mitigating Global Climate Change
Application for the International Research Experiences for Students Program
Applications are now being accepted until December 1, 2017. Late applications will be considered if we have space remaining. Please click on the IRES Application for 2018 link here: IRES Application 2018
The University of North Dakota (UND), in collaboration with California State Polytechnic University at Pomona (CPP), is offering a National Science Foundation supported IRES program which provides a year-long research opportunity for students to work on projects that work towards the mitigation of global climate change.
How the program works?
Each project includes activities at the student’s home institution along with an eight week summer research experience at the University of Leeds (UoL) in the UK. Participants will be mentored by a team of research advisors from UoL and the US. The spring term will include seminars to prepare the participants for research and preliminary research activities. In the summer students will conduct research at UoL under the direction of the Center for Integrated Energy Research (CIER) host research mentors. Participants will then conduct follow-up research activities at their home institutions including documentation and dissemination.
Who are we looking for?
Four Junior and Senior (when a 5th year will be included to get their BS degree) undergraduate engineering students who are seriously considering graduate school and who are planning to apply to the University of North Dakota (UND) as one of their graduate school options and to seriously consider continuing their education at UND. Masters students may also apply with the permission of your advisor. You must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for this program.
- Applications deadline: 1 December, 2017
- Student selections: 31 December, 2017
- Begin Spring activities: week of January 15, 2018
- Travel to Leeds: 1 July, 2018
- End Leeds program: 24 Aug, 2018
- Begin Fall activities: 24 Sep, 2018
2018 Presentation and Meeting Topics
What are we offering?
- Travel to/from Leeds for the 8 week summer program.
- On-campus housing and meal plans while at the UoL.
- A $4,500 stipend for fully participating in the year-long program.
- Unique exposure to scientific approaches and exposure to UK researchers and students. You’ll find out how very different the university experience is in the UK compared to the US.
- Trips to both industrial and cultural sites in the UK. For example, the 1st weekend we’ll be going to the city of York, the historic capital of Northern England. We’ll also be going to the Drax power station, which is the largest biomass fuels power plant in the UK.
- The opportunity for you to stay after the program for your own private “holiday” in the UK (at your own expense).
- A chance to contribute to a refereed journal publication and to present your work in a number of venues.