- Computer Science
- Geology & Geological
- Institute for Energy Studies
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
The BIG Challenge
The BIG Challenge is a monthly student competition to generate novel ideas and innovative ways of solving important problems. The BIG Challenge is hosted by the College of Engineering and Mines, but is open to all UND students. Students will work in teams of 2 to 4 and are strongly encouraged to collaborate across multiple disciplines.
Up to two winning teams will be selected at the end of each month and awarded scholarships totaling $2000.
How does it work?
Each month a new challenge will be issued and advertised throughout CEM and across campus. Teams must register their team by the end of the first week. Teams will have access to the Big Ideas Gym in the Collaborative Energy Complex to meet and work on their ideas. At the end of the month, four team finalists will be selected and asked to give a short 3 minute pitch to a panel of judges and fellow students, who will rate each team based on the following factors:
- Originality (40/100) – How novel is the idea? Has it been done before?
- Potential Impact (20/100) – What is the likelihood that this idea will have a significant financial, social, or environmental impact on the world?
- Presentation (20/100)- How informative, entertaining and inspiring was the pitch presentation?
- Multidisciplinary Approach (20/100) – To what extent does the idea involve tools, concepts, or perspectives from multiple disciplines?
How can you participate?
Be on the lookout for emails and flyers promoting each month’s challenge. Challenges will be made available by the end of the previous month. Form groups and register with Brittany Tague in Harrington Hall Room 323. The deadline to register is the end of the first week, but each challenge will be limited to the first eight groups. The following information will be needed at the time of registration:
- The names and majors of all team members
- Contact information for each member
- The name of your team (be creative!)
The BIG Challenge is sponsored by the College of Engineering and Mines, the Jodsaas Center for Engineering Leadership and Entrepreneurship, and the Edson and Margaret Larson Foundation.